Oulu Best (Worst) Buy

The "Handbook For Survival in Finland" authored by Annikki and Jacob Matthan in 1994 after 10 years of research of life in Finland created a "game" to live well in Finland with a nominal salary. The system helped beat yearly inflation every year. This Blog shows how the system is still valid even in 2008!

Monday, June 02, 2008

Ali Baba's Grotto in Oulu

A friend of mine had tried to call me a few days ago, but my phone was not working.


Aku, Master Rulla Kebab Maker


I enquired his whereabouts from another friend and learnt that Aku was in the process of acquiring a new Pizzeria in Maikkula, a southern suburb of Oulu. It is located on Riihitie.

Samu had his football practice at a school football pitch in the area, so while he was busy, I thought to drop in on my friend.



From the frontage it looks like a very ordinary small pizzeria like one would find in almost every suburb of Oulu. But when I stepped in, I knew that the name was a gross misnomer!

Aku was not in, as Monday is his day off. I was hosted by Serbest, another young man from Iraq. Very courteous and friendly.






As I admired the small room, he pointed to a small archway at the end of the room and asked me to step in and see the larger room inside.






I was surprised to see such a world of treasures adorning a pizzeria . The children's corner was spectacular.

The next time Samu had football practice, we decided to stop and meet Aku. He made us a pizza and offered us a drink, but refused to accept any payment. The pizza was delicious reflecting the many years experience in Goreme, Finland's finest pizzeria, run by two other dear friends, Hasim and Kasim from Turkey.

I told Aku that he needs to rename the pizzeria as Ali Baba’s Grotto!

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home