Oulu Best (Worst) Buy

The "Handbook For Survival in Finland" authored by Annikki and Jacob Matthan in 1994 after 10 years of research of life in Finland created a "game" to live well in Finland with a nominal salary. The system helped beat yearly inflation every year. This Blog shows how the system is still valid even in 2008!

Friday, March 24, 2006

Best Buys of yesterday...

Wow! this page has taken off like a bomb. Sandra Grotsch, said

"The new blog is fantastic! I will recommend it to everybody I know."


Ilari Sohlo wanted to know whether I had left any Basmati Rice in the KotiHerkku shop in Välivainio?

Answer was - No! I do not leave anything for stragglers.

Ilari gave me a great Best Buy lead.

Curd is known as Viili in Finnish.

Curd, Viili
Curd, known as Viili in Finnish


It is very popular and also expensive. The price ranges from Euro 0.27 to Euro 0.45 for a small 200 gm plastic container.

The BEST BUY price at Lidl submitted by Ilari is just Euro 0.22.

Ilari advised buying one at a time to get the benefit of the Euro 0.02 cent downward round-off - Euro 0.20 per 200 gm.

Thanks Ilari for this info.

I went to buy my 3 kg of oranges at the K Supermarket in Oulunsalo, near the Oulu Airport. I was able to buy over 4 kg with no problem. As we drink a lot of fresh squeezed orange juice, that was a great buy.

jaffa Oranges
Jaffa Oranges


Then I discovered that very large Brazilian mangoes were just Euro 1.59 (Euro 2.99) and I bought some semi-ripe ones. Another great buy.

Brazilian mangoes
Brazilian mangoes


I also picked up 1.5 kg pre-packed bags of Golden Delicious Apples for just Euro 1.69 (Euro 2.09 per kkg). This was pre-packed and the quality was exceptionally good.

Golden Delicious Apples
Golden Delicious apples


This made the 13 km trip from Oulu financially worthwhile. Otherwise, my petrol cost would have made the price for buying just oranges uneconomic.

I stopped at the Säästökuoppa in Jukolankuja on the way back.


Säästökuoppa at Jukolan Jätti,
(just off the road to the Airport) Jukolankuja.


As individual small plastic packs of flavoured yoghurt was on my shopping list, I found that the price in this shop was the same as the price I pay in Halppa-Halli in Toppila, 4 packs for Euro 1.0. In Halpa-Halli it is necessary to buy 8 packs to get this lower price. Here it was just 4 packs to get the price offer.

Another great buy today was tins of 185 gm Tuna Flakes, both in oil and brine for just Euro 0.25 (Euro 0.39) from Lidl. The salad leaves as reported yesterday were still at Euro 1.29 per kg, which was cheaper than the Euro 1.49 at the K-Supermarket in Oulunsalo.

I had fun shopping today and beat the market prices. I saved around Euro 10 (even after accounting for the extra petrol I had to spend in driving to Oulunsalo.)

Keep your suggestions coming in as we have a great readership out there wanting to hear from you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home